It’s baseball season, and as a tribute to our national pastime, I have put together a top 10 list of my favorite baseball movies. They range from tear-jerkers that require a box of tissues by my side to be able to watch, to comedies that have me laughing and everything in between.
10. Bad News Bears (1976) - An aging, down-on-his-luck ex-minor leaguer coaches a team of misfits in an ultra-competitive California little league.
9. The Natural (1984) - An unknown comes out of seemingly nowhere to become a legendary player with almost divine talent.
8. Angels in the Outfield (1994) - When a boy prays for a chance to have a family if the California Angels win the pennant, angels are assigned to make that possible.
7. Major League (1989) - The new owner of the Cleveland Indians puts together a purposely horrible team so they'll lose and she can move the team. But when the plot is uncovered, they start winning just to spite her.
6. Fever Pitch (2005) - Lindsay is stuck in the middle of her relationship with Ben and his passion for the Boston Red Sox.
5. Trouble with the Curve (2012) - A daughter tries to remedy her dysfunctional relationship with her ailing father, a decorated baseball scout by helping him in a recruiting trip which could be his last.
4. Field of Dreams (1989) - An Iowa corn farmer, hearing voices, interprets them as a command to build a baseball diamond in his fields; he does, and the Chicago White Sox come.
2. 42 (2013) - The story of Jackie Robinson from his signing with the Brooklyn Dodgers organization in 1945 to his historic 1947 rookie season when he broke the color barrier in Major League Baseball.
1. The Sandlot (1993) - A new kid in town is taken under the wing of a young baseball prodigy and his team in this coming of age movie set in the summer of 1962. Together, they get themselves into many adventures involving rival teams, lifeguards, and a vicious dog.